Medical Social Work
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association's medical social workers assess the patients' psychological state and his/her ability to function in their current social environment. The medical social worker may suggest interventions as needed. Interventions may include:
- Connecting patients and families to necessary resources and supports in the community
- Helping a patient to expand and strengthen their network of social supports.
Our medical social workers work closely with other homecare team members to ensure each individual's plan for care will help lead them to greater health and independence.
Medical social work services include:
- Instruct, treat, observe and evaluate patients exhibiting significant social and emotional problems affecting their health status.
- Participate in the development and periodic re-evaluation of the physician's plan of care.
- Instruct and counsel patients and families in treating and coping with social and emotional responses connected with the illness.
For more information or to refer a patient to MedStar VNA, call 800-862-2166.