Our My [email protected] programs aim to help people with chronic conditions achieve better personal health and independence. There are five major components of the My [email protected] programs. This system of education, intervention, communication and self-care helps patients take control of their own health and well-being. MedStar VNA has a My [email protected] program to focus on each of the following conditions:
- Heart failure
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Coronary artery bypass graft
Frequency of Visits: During the first few weeks of this program, registered nurses and therapists will visit patients several times per week. As patients learn to manage their own condition, visits will become less frequent.
Patients are monitored and visited regularly by our home health nurses. During regular in-home visits, nurses will monitor and educate patients to:
- Follow a prescribed treatment plan
- Track and monitor their symptoms
- Take medications as ordered by the and watch for side effects
- Maintain a heart healthy diet and weight
- Watch the amount of fluid they consume
- Make healthy lifestyle choices
When prescribed by the physician, patients receive regular visits from our home health therapists. During regular in-home visits, rehabilitation professionals will:
- Screen patients to determine their level of strength and endurance
- Asses the patient's risk of falling and create a prevention plan
- Develop an individual rehabilitation program to meet the patient's specific needs
- Teach patients how to exercise and develop a regular exercise plan
Our home health team teaches patients and their caregivers to use tools to monitor daily activities and record weight and symptoms. By caring for themselves and managing their symptoms, patients take control and improve their quality of life..
In-Home Patient Monitoring Program
Through MedStar Visiting Nurse Association’s In-Home Health Monitoring Program, patients report their vital signs and health status information daily using a remote monitoring device. The easy-to-use device transmits the information to the patient’s healthcare team. The information allows healthcare providers to intervene quickly if the patient has negative symptoms.
The health monitoring device walks patients through a step-by-step process to enter important health information, including:
- Blood pressure
- Heart rate
- Oxygen level
- Symptoms, like shortness of breath, swelling or fatigue
[email protected] programs depend on a strong partnership with each patient's physician. This allows MedStar VNA to track progress and monitor the quality of care. If a patient does not have a regular physician, we recommend calling the MedStar Health Find-A-Doc Hotlines for the hospital that is closest to the patient's home.
To find out more about our home healthcare services, call: 800-862-2166.