Patients with communication and swallowing conditions can receive a variety of speech therapy services to enhance their independence and quality of life.
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association's speech therapy services are provided by certified speech-language pathologists who are trained in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with these conditions. Speech therapists help patients develop unique approaches to restore abilities like communicating, swallowing and talking. They also help patients find ways to compensate for impaired understanding and expression of language.
In-Home Speech Therapy Services
- Evaluation and treatment of
- Receptive and expressive language disorders
- Speech disorders
- Cognitive-communication disorders
- Oral-motor skills
- Swallowing disorders
- Voice disorders
- Treatment with augmentative-alternative communication systems and devices
Speech Therapy Goals
Our speech language pathologists evaluate and treat patients who have difficulty speaking, listening, reading, and writing. We assess and create intensive treatment plans for patients with cognitive, thinking, and memory problems, as well as patients who have difficulty or cannot swallow. Goals of SLP’s include:
- Maximize a patient's functional independence in communicating and swallowing
- Reduce the risk of aspiration and choking
- Increase the patient's and caregiver's knowledge of speech, language and swallowing disorders, and of appropriate treatment processes
Medical Conditions Commonly Treated
- Traumatic brain injury
- Alzheimer's disease and dementia
- Progressive neurologic disorders
- Head and neck cancer
- Voice disorders
- Other medical conditions that affect swallowing
MedStar VNA’s speech-language pathologists provide patients with diet plans, exercises, and tips for family and friends. From providing encouragement to allowing as much independence as possible, we focus on making a positive difference in our patients’ lives.
To find out more about our home healthcare services, call: 800-862-2166.