As part of MedStar Health— the largest healthcare system in the Maryland, D.C., and Northern Virginia region— MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) provides skilled nursing services to help patients heal at home and reclaim their independence. When a physician writes an order for homecare services, one of MedStar VNA's registered nurses will visit the patient's home to assess their needs. The nurse will ask the patient questions about his/her hospital discharge instructions, diagnosis, symptoms, medications and more. This information helps the nurse create a unique plan of care.
In-Home Skilled Nursing Services:
- Medication Management: Partnering with the patient’s doctor, our nurses develop a medication schedule, evaluate the effectiveness of medications and educate the patient and/or his or her caregiver on proper dosage, frequency and side effects.
- Disease Management: For patients with chronic conditions, such as heart failure, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), our Disease Management programs aim to help patients maintain independence and a healthier lifestyle. Services include nursing care, rehabilitation, patient education, and in-home patient monitoring.
- Rehabilitation Nursing: After suffering from a severe injury, like burns, stroke, or amputation, patients often need rehabilitative nursing care to safely transition from a hospital or treatment center to home. Initially, the nurse will assess the patient’s abilities, then create a plan of care to address his or her individual needs.
- In-Home IV Therapy: Our nurses teach patients and their caregivers how to manage IV medications and nutritional support, like tube feeding, at home.
- Activities of Daily Living Support: To assist patients in resuming their daily routine at home, we provide certified home health aides (HHA) to help with activities of daily living. These activities include bathing, grooming, dressing, walking, and much more.
- Wound Care: For patients with complex, non-healing wounds or new stage III and IV pressure ulcers, our certified wound care nurses provide specialized, in-home care and education to ensure wounds heal.
- Ostomy Care: With the guidance of our certified wound, ostomy and continence care nurses, patients learn how to care for an ostomy and live comfortably with an ostomy pouch.
- Continence Care: Understanding the level of discomfort and embarrassment associated with incontinence, we offer comprehensive in-home continence care for patients. Services include urinary catheter maintenance, toileting programs and home accessibility assessments.
- After Hours Care and Support: We know that patient care does not end after normal business hours—through our After Hours team, we are able to provide around the clock care. We offer evening and nighttime support as well as weekend and holiday visits.
To find out more about our home healthcare services, call: 800-862-2166.