MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) recognizes that many of our patients need specialized nursing care. To meet patients' needs, there is a team of nurses who are certified and specialize in wound care. Wound care nurses visit patients' homes to monitor wounds closely and to ensure they are improving.
In-Home Wound Care Services
- Assessing, evaluating and identifying patients who are at risk or need treatment for:
- Pressure ulcers
- Surgical wounds
- Lower legs (diabetic, venous and arterial)
- Wound care management
- Specialized treatment plan
Wound care nurses offer education in the home to help patients or caregivers take care of wounds and change dressings. Watch this dressing change video so that you can safely change the bandage on your wound.
Qualifying Wound Care Needs:
- Non-healing wounds
- Wounds that fail to progress over a two week period
- When wounds have progressed and need a new treatment plan
- Complex wound care needs
- New Stage III and IV pressure ulcers
- Preventative skin measures: appropriate support surface, moisture management