The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) require physicians – who order, refer or receive payment for Medicare-covered home health service and supplies – to enroll in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act allows CMS to deny Medicare home health services or supply claims from physicians who are not registered in PECOS.
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) maintains this page on our website to help physicians access the resources they need to enroll in PECOS and meet CMS requirements. We want to ensure that every eligible Medicare beneficiary has access to the services and supplies ordered by their physician.
PECOS Enrollment Directions
All physicians who order, refer, or receive payment for Medicare-covered home health services and supplies are required to enroll in the Provider Enrollment, Chain and Ownership System (PECOS). Enrollment is fast and easy. To ensure your patients receive the care they need, when they need it, use the directions below.
- Make sure you have all of the documentation and information listed in the Pre-Enrollment Checklist (link to pre-enrollment checklist)
- Go to https://pecos.cms.hhs.gov.
- Click the link on the right that says, “Register for a user account.”
- You will be asked whether you wish to register and create a PECOS account, click “yes.”
- Next, you will see the terms and conditions. If you agree, click “accept.”
- You will be prompted to register as a user. Type in your email address. Enter the image text. Then, click “submit.” Note: there are several video tutorials and a user guide on this page if you require additional assistance with your PECOS registration.
- When your registration is complete, you should print, sign, and date the two-page Certification Statement – available at the end of the online application.
- Mail the signed Certification Statement, along with supporting documentation, to your designated Medicare contractor within seven days of the electronic submission.