The nurses, therapists, social workers, and homecare aides at MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) specialize in caring for patients with a variety of medical conditions. Home healthcare team members work with each patient and the patient's doctor to develop a personal treatment plan that meets their unique needs. MedStar VNA helps patients to regain their independence at home by teaching them how to control their disease symptoms, take medicines as ordered, build their strength, and prevent further illness or injury.
Specialized care includes:
- Burn Care: Patients suffering from mild to severe burns can benefit from home healthcare services like nursing, physical and occupational therapy, pain management, wound care, and support for activities of daily living.
- Cancer Care Services: MedStar VNA nurses and therapists offer specialized care to meet cancer patients’ needs, including: wound, ostomy and continence care, medication management, IV therapy, strength training, and fall prevention.
- Continence Care: Patients living with incontinence can receive specialized homecare treatment to include: Moisture management, toileting programs, physical therapy (including pelvic floor muscle exercises), home accessibility assessment, as well as patient coaching and education to help prevent accidents before they occur.
- Diabetes Care: MedStar VNA’s comprehensive diabetes care program includes education and lifestyle analysis designed to help improve or maintain quality of life. Nurses offer education and assistance with blood sugar monitoring, meal planning, wound care, foot care, and insulin management.
- Gastroenterology Care: Patients with digestive tract disorders achieve independence and live comfortably at home with nursing, wound, and ostomy care support from MedStar VNA’s clinical experts.
- Geriatric Care: Senior citizens have unique emotional, physical and medical needs that require specialized care. MedStar VNA specializes in the care of older adults and the chronic conditions they often suffer from, including: dementia, arthritis, heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), diabetes, functional disability, and hypertension.
- Heart Care: MedStar VNA’s home health experts specialize in treating patients with heart conditions like congestive heart failure, as well as those recovering from heart surgeries like coronary artery bypass graft or open heart surgery.
- Neurological Rehabilitation: MedStar VNA offers specialized nursing care and rehabilitation services to people with neurological disease, trauma, or brain surgery. Commonly treated neurological conditions include: Alzheimer's disease and dementia, brain tumors and hemorrhages, epilepsy, memory disorders, movement disorders, multiple sclerosis, nerve damage, neuromuscular disorders, neurosurgery, Parkinson's disease, and cerebrovascular accident (stroke).
- Orthopedic Care: MedStar VNA’s rehabilitation team provides a well-structured, evidence-based rehabilitation program for patients recovering from orthopedic illness and injury, such as multiple orthopedic trauma, hip fracture surgery, joint replacements, and arthritis. Homecare physical and occupational therapists offer condition-specific treatments to improve patients’ strength, mobility, and balance.
- Pain Management: Patients with acute or chronic pain achieve and maintain their maximum level of independence and comfort through self-care education, therapy, and skilled nursing services. Conditions often requiring in-home pain management include: diagnosis or recent onset of disease, pain after surgery, cancer-related pain, or wound pain.
- Palliative Care: Some patients face long-term, critical illnesses that negatively impact their quality of life. MedStar VNA offers support and treatment that focuses on the relief of symptoms, pain, and stress associated with managing these conditions.
- Stroke Recovery: Recovering from a stroke can be physically and emotionally challenging. To help stroke victims regain a quality of life, MedStar VNA provides an interdisciplinary approach to stroke rehabilitation. With help from skilled nurses and physical, occupational and speech therapists, patients are able to relearn skills lost due to stroke.
- Surgery Recovery: After surgery, regaining strength and managing pain can be a challenge. MedStar VNA offers skilled nurses and therapists who specialize in helping patients regain their independence at home post surgery.
- Transplant Rehabilitation: Recovering from transplant surgery requires specialized care and an individual recovery plan. After a hospital stay, patients may need continued medical care at home. Our skilled nursing and therapy services help transplant patients manage new medicines, understand and follow doctor’s orders, and identify symptoms of organ rejection.
- Wound Care: To meet patients' wound care needs, a team of MedStar VNA nurses hold a special wound, ostomy and continence care certification. These nurses visit patients' homes and consult with other nurses to monitor wounds and ensure they show improvement.