Palliative care can provide relief for patients who are suffering from serious, long-term illnesses. MedStar VNA’s home healthcare team helps these patients treat difficult and ongoing symptoms through holistic, specialized care plans to improve their quality of life.
Palliative Care from MedStar VNA
- Establishes a patient-centered plan of care
- Manages complex medical conditions
- Provides a holistic, team approach to healthcare
- Collaborates with an interdisciplinary team
- Coordinates care and case management
- Advocates for the patient and caregiver
- Assesses and evaluates patient abilities
- Provides patient and caregiver education
- Sets goals for maximum independence
Palliative Care Team Members
- Patient and family
- Registered nurse
- Social worker
- Physical and occupational therapists, and home health aides (as needed)
For patients who need additional care from external resources, MedStar VNA’s home healthcare team will also work in junction with nutritionists, dieticians, and spiritual advisors.
Palliative Care Telehealth
MedStar VNA uses remote patient monitoring to routinely check in on palliative care patients between in-person visits. If negative symptoms arise, our care team is alerted immediately through our telehealth software so we can quickly intervene and prevent emergency medical situations. Patients can also access education related to their condition(s) through the monitoring device and communicate directly with their care team.
Qualifications for Palliative Care
- Patient has a primary caregiver
- Primary caregiver takes responsibility for the patient’s 24-hour-care needs
- Patient and caregiver accept palliative care emphasis in the home
- Patient does not currently meet hospice criteria
Palliative care is not hospice care. Patients can receive palliative care at any stage of illness and can continue aggressive and/or curative treatment plans.
How to Begin Palliative Care
Patients seeking palliative care through MedStar VNA must obtain a physician’s order for care along with supporting documentation. For additional information, please contact us at 800-862-2166.
To find out more about our home healthcare services, call: 800-862-2166.