What types of screenings are offered?
- Cholesterol screening: The cholesterol screening measures total cholesterol (TC), high-density lipoprotein (HDL), and triglycerides. These values are then used to calculate low-density lipoprotein levels (LDL). This test can help indicate whether someone is likely to have a heart attack or stroke caused by blockage of blood vessels or hardening of the arteries.
- Blood glucose screening: The blood glucose screening measures the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood at the time of sample collection. The screening detects both high blood sugar (hyperglycemia) and low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), which can help identify those at risk for diabetes or monitor glucose levels in people with diabetes.
- Blood pressure screening: This simple screening will help determine whether an individual is within a healthy, risk-free range. High blood pressure can have no symptoms but cause serious problems, including stroke, heart failure, heart attack and kidney failure.
- Body mass analysis: This screening analysis includes an individual’s height, weight, body fat, body mass index (BMI) and waist/hip ratio.
- Complete health screening: This service includes all of the screenings listed above.
Why should I participate?
Wellness screenings provide information about an individual’s blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, body mass index, and other personal health numbers. When people know their numbers, they are better able to measure and understand their individual health risks for heart disease, diabetes, stroke, heart attack, and other health conditions.
How long does a screening take?
The length of the screening depends on the type of screening.
- Cholesterol: 8-10 minutes
- Glucose: 2-4 minutes
- Blood pressure: 2-4 minutes
- Body mass analysis: 2-4 minutes
For a complete screening analysis – which includes all screenings listed above – the process takes about 10 to15 minutes per person.
How and when will I receive my results?
The screening machines used by MedStar VNA offer instant results. You do not have to wait for your results like you do in a traditional laboratory. Participants will receive their results at the end of their personal screening session. Each participant leaves with a printed health screening report with his/her individual results. The clinical staff members who perform the screenings will briefly review results with each individual and offer follow-up information and suggestions as needed.
Will the screening require that they draw a vial of my blood?
No. For cholesterol and glucose screenings, MedStar VNA collects just a drop of blood by pricking the participant’s finger. MedStar VNA’s testing machines only requires a small sample of blood to provide health screening results
Do participants need to fast or prepare for the health screenings?
Fasting is not required for these screenings. However, participants who fast for at least eight hours will receive the most accurate glucose and cholesterol screening results. Fasting is also not recommended for pregnant women or people with certain health conditions.
How will I understand my results?
You will have the opportunity to privately review your results with a MedStar VNA nurse/expert. The role of the nurse/expert is to help you understand your results and provide recommendations and resources to help you take next steps.
What if my results are unfavorable?
Your screening will provide you with valuable information about your health. Whether positive or negative, you should discuss the results with your primary care doctor. If your screening results indicate a critical level that requires immediate attention, the nurse will refer you to the appropriate healthcare provider.
Are my results confidential?
YES! Your company contracted MedStar VNA, an impartial, third-party vendor to administer and oversee the wellness screenings, including your results. No individual health information from this wellness program will be provided to your company (unless you waive this right). These health and wellness resources are confidential and meant to help you live your healthiest life possible.
Who performs the screenings?
MedStar VNA’s certified/ licensed healthcare professionals, such as nurse practitioners, RNs, LPNs, phlebotomists, and nursing assistants, administer the screenings. Our clinicians participate in skills-based training to ensure they are competent in performing wellness screenings. They also learn to perform quality control tests on screening devices to ensure results are accurate and equipment is working properly.
Call Us Today
To learn more about MedStar VNA’s vaccination and wellness programs, call: