Pneumonia is a lung infection that can make you very sick. Annually in the U.S., about 1 million people seek care at a hospital due to pneumonia, and about 50,000 people die from the disease. MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) partners with organizations across the Maryland, D.C. and Northern Virginia region to provide on-site vaccinations to individuals who want protection from pneumonia.
Pneumonia can be caused by a virus, bacteria, or fungi. It can cause mild to severe illness in people of all ages, but some people are at greater risk, including:
- Adults 65 years and older
- Young children
- Individuals with certain health conditions and/or weakened immune systems
On-Site Pneumonia Vaccination Event Information
Our experienced registered nurses will work with you to provide a safe, flexible and convenient vaccination event for your organization’s members. MedStar VNA offers two different types of pneumonia vaccines:
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine (PPSV23): Also known as Pneumovax, this vaccine is recommended for adults 65 and older. Pneumovax provides protection against 23 different strains of Streptococcus pneumonia bacteria. This vaccine is made using dead bacteria.
- Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV13): Also called Prevnar 13, this vaccine is routinely given to infants and toddlers, but also approved for use among adults 50 and older. It is recommended for all adults 65 and older. Prevnar 13 provides protection against 13 strains of pneumococcal bacteria.
Please keep in mind:
- It is now recommended that adults age 65 and older get both Pneumovax and Prevnar 13 vaccines.
- Adults who are recommended to get both vaccines should get the Prevnar vaccine first, followed by the Pneumovax vaccine, 12 months later.
- Adults 65 years and older already vaccinated with Pneumovax should receive the Prevnar vaccine one or more years later.
- Individuals only need to receive these vaccines one time, unless ordered by a doctor.
Vaccination Events at MedStar VNA
To learn more or hear what MedStar VNA clients say about their experience, read our FAQs and customer testimonials. If you'd like to schedule a vaccination event at your desired location, complete the online registration form. You can also promote your upcoming on-site vaccination event using our Vaccination Event Toolkit.
Call Us Today
To learn more about MedStar VNA’s vaccination and wellness programs, call: